Immigration Process

Applying for essential skills residence class visas

Farmer Freddy was finishing hanging the last of the decorations on his tree, when Pebbles turns up.

“Merry Christmas, Dad!  Thanks for the early Christmas dinner invite, when do you go overseas again?” asks Pebbles.

“Well, I’m leaving next week for the UK.  It’ll be cold, but it will be nice to have a ‘white Christmas’ with the extended family.   Anyway, do you remember Cedric?”

“Yes, the Swiss farmer, who did some work on the farm while he was here a year ago.  I helped you organise a work visa for him,” replies Pebbles.

Yes, that’s right, Pebbles.  He liked Taranaki so much, he wants to come here to live.  He was such a good Dairy Farmer (well once we straightened out some of those unusual Swiss farming practices), and seeing that I’m going to be in Europe, I thought I could meet up with him in Switzerland and offer him a permanent job.”

“Yes, seeing him try to herd the cattle into the shed overnight, like they do in Switzerland, was rather amusing.  But hold up Dad, don’t forget you he can’t work for you here in New Zealand until he has an appropriate visa.”

“Yeah, yeah I know Pebbles.  That’s why I need your help again.  What do you think will be the best option?” asks Freddy.

“Well you need to be careful not to give immigration advice to Cedric.  He needs to speak to a qualified immigration advisor, or lawyer about his options.  If he is considering moving to New Zealand permanently, he could consider applying for a ‘Residence Class Visa’ under the ‘Essential Skills Category’.  To automatically qualify, you must be able to claim at least 140 points for criteria like your age, qualifications, and an offer of permanent skilled employment in New Zealand.  There are a number of horticultural and agricultural occupations on Immigration New Zealand’s list of skilled occupations, such as Dairy Cattle Farmers, and Crop Farmers,” explains Pebbles.  “It is quite a process to apply, and you should start the process early. As well as providing the usual medical and police checks, Cedric would need to show Immigration New Zealand how he qualifies by completing an ‘Expression of Interest’ form.  Cedric will need to show that he has the qualifications and/or experience required for the job.  If Immigration New Zealand is satisfied Cedric can claim enough points, he will be invited to apply for residence, and if he is successful, he will be able to live and work in New Zealand permanently,” continues Pebbles.

“It sounds like this might be an option for him,” says Freddy.  “I was thinking of offering Cedric the Dairy Farmer position, and I’m pretty sure he has an agricultural degree.  I will get Cedric to give you a call on Skype and you can go through the criteria with him.”

“That sounds like a plan, Dad.  I would be happy to help.  But don’t forget, if you do make an offer of employment to Cedric, make sure it is clearly stated in writing that the offer is subject to Cedric obtaining an appropriate visa to work in New Zealand.  You don’t want to be in a situation where you have offered Cedric the job, but he can’t get a visa to work here,” Pebbles cautions.

“Thanks Pebbles. I will remember that.  Now can you please give me a hand untangling these wretched Christmas lights?”

“Sure Dad, just like the immigration process, it’s always easier if someone can help untangle things with you.”

The content of this document is necessarily general and readers should seek specific advice on particular matters and not rely solely on this document. 

If you would like more information on any of the topics in this document, please contact your usual Auld Brewer Mazengarb & McEwen adviser. 


Return to previous page Print



Philip McCarthy